Installing the Northland Fulfillment App
When installing the Northland Fulfillment App, you will be taken to Northland's Shopify login page.
Before you can login, you need to contact us via phone or email so we can set you up with a Northland account.
Once that's done, we will send the login information, so you can complete the installation.
That's where the technical side of your first contact with Northland ends.
There is also the business side which is not covered here (setting up a contract, shipping your stuff to our warehouse, sending a pie to the IT team, etc).
To ship your stuff to your customers using the appropriate carrier and shipping method, you need to map your shop's shipping methods to Northland's shipping methods.
You will find your shipping methods in your shop's admin area, under Settings -> Shipping. Your shipping methods should be in the middle, and look like links.
Note: The screenshot shows four shipping methods:
Two shipping methods for Canada: "Free Shipping - Orders over $50" and "Standard Shipping";
And two International shipping methods: "Free International Shipping (Orders > $75)" and "International Shipping".
To map your shop's shipping methods to ours, go to the Shipping Methods section in the Northland control panel:
Copy and paste each shipping method into the field labelled "Add" (on the bottom of the Current Shipping Methods Mappings table)
Select the appropriate carrier/shipping method from the drop down menu.
Note: Here the "Standard Shipping" shipping method is being mapped to our Canada Post carrier and Expedited Parcel shipping method.
To make sure we ship the right items to your customer, the product skus in your shop must be set and match the skus setup on our end.
Manage skus in your shop's admin area, under Products.
There are only a few preference settings, and they should be self-explanatory:
- Close processed orders (Close orders after we ship them)
- Notify customer (Tell Shopify to send the shipping confirmation email once orders are shipped)
Processing your orders
- Customer goes to your store, puts items into the cart and checks out.
- Upon checkout Shopify sends us the order.
- At this point the order's status in your shop's admin area is "Not Fulfilled".
- On our end, the order goes through a processing queue, where the address is checked, the Skus are checked and picked, etc.
- Before packaging we check with Shopify one last time to make sure the order was not canceled.
- If the order is still good to go, we package it and ship it.
- Once it is shipped, we send a message to Shopify to update the order's status to "Fulfilled".
- At this point, Shopify might send your customer a notification email and close your order (depending on your settings - above).
The Northland Fulfillment App does not check your inventory at Shopify, so you need to make sure we have enough inventory to ship.
The best way to do this is to set your inventory quantities in your Shopify store when you send your stuff to our warehouse.
That way Shopify can keep track of your inventory, and it should match the inventory on our end.